Tuesday, October 15, 2013

The Mission Life is a Beautiful Life

Hello Family! Thank you for your email and for the special fathers blessing. I haven't read it yet because I am sure that I will begin to cry and so I think it is just better if I read it later. 

Some days I am just filled with a joy that I can't express for the beautiful blessings I am receiving on my mission. I can't express what is happening here. It is something that is so personal to every missionary. A mission changes people in different ways and it really brings you to understand why we are here on this earth and what we need to do to find joy. I know it sounds so cliche but i don't know how to express it differently. 

I was thinking about what you said about changes. It is so true, before the mission i don't think I handled change very well. I am not saying that I am pro, but something happened this transfer. I always get a little nervous. It wasn't so much that I was scared but just nervous of the unknown. One day I was thinking about it a bit and I felt a thought come into my head and it just made sense. "Why are you nervous, it always works out to be exactly what you need" It is very true. The principle of Proverbs 3:5-6 became very real to me. "Trust in the Lord with all thine heart, and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths." We don't need to fear anything about the future because we need to realize that if we are living worthy lives, Heavenly Father will direct our paths. He knows exactly what we need and what will happen. I look forward to having changes because just like you said...it is a time when you can re-evaluate and start fresh. I think that is why there is so much opportunity for growing because there are lots of moments of change. 

I was finishing my email and I forgot that I didn't even tell you about my new companion. Her name is Hermana Hill and she is from farmington utah but has lived a lot of different places. I am training her. She is super super sweet. I like her a lot! I am learning a lot from her like always. I am grateful for this chance to train because it keeps us really busy. Hopefully she will do okay jumping into doing all of these exchanges as well as adjusting to the mission. 

Carlos: Yesterday, Carlos received the priesthood. He is now ordained as a priest. We went and visited him last night and he expressed his thoughts about how he feels. He is so happy and feels many blessings of the gospel. He is so pure. Hermana Knappen and I felt that we should invite him to pray to see if he should serve a mission. Last night Hermana Hill and I asked him if he had ever thought about it. He expressed with a big smile, that yes, and that He would love to be a missionary. It was a beautiful moment as we felt the spirit together and asked him if he would begin praying about it. He expressed his desires to share the gospel with his family as he returns home in a month. We ended with a prayer and as we prayed, I asked Heavenly Father to prepare his family to receive the gospel. I could just see in my mind and feel the spirit and watching carlos teaching his family and them all listening. I love that families can be together and that they are coming together in this gospel.

Stephanie: Do you remember stephanie long? The sister who referred herself? Well we finally got in with her again. We talked with her about what she had been reading in the book of mormon and the other questions she had. She asked about if we had a study guide to help her understand the book of mormon better or what our suggestions were for learning we told her that she should listen to the missionaries. She was like okay. When can you come over. We are finally going to be able to get the sisters in. She is so special and going to get baptized. I think people are giving her a bit of slack for what she is studying but she explained to us that if you want to know the truth you have to go to the source and she felt strongly that this is what Heavenly Father wants for her. I love her! 

English as my 2nd language: While I didn't have a companion. Hermana Cardona-Paul was my companion. She is an english sister but speaks some spanish. We were together until our new companions came. We taught a few people in english. We went to contact a referral but they weren't home. We decided to do "five a clock rounds" we knock the five houses surrounding the referral house to see if anyone else is prepared. The first house let us in. We began teaching Brittney, Brandon and Deelante. We taught the Restoration and man...it was a powerful lesson. We spoke about the power that Jesus Christ has in our lives and how because of Him we have hope and motivation to live on in this life. At the end of a wonderful lesson, they accepted another appointment and asked if they could add us on facebook. haha  :D but also asked a bit more about missionary work. Deeante told me..so you said you speak spanish too? i said yes. He said but you are american? I told him yes. He continued to tell me. "For the first 8 minutes of the lesson i was just watching you thinking...she is american...why did she speak spanish first? You have a accent in english and I thought that Spanish was your first language.." I was thinking GREAT! I know I can't pray in english and I stumble over lots of my words and kind of speak weird but I didn't think it was that bad! haha :) it was a funny story.

As for the package...I could really use some more jam. haha :D I think why the last one didn't make it was because it was in a carry on. If it isn't in a carry on. I don't think they will take it. They just took the other one because it wasn't in the suit case. They wouldn't take it if it was in a suitcase because shampoo bottles have more than 8 oz. :D soooo maybe you can ask her if she is going to put it in her carry on or suitcase? :) Really the only thing I have been trying to look for is a white undershirt. They don't really have shade shirts or anything like that her. I don't know if you could find one that is cheap. If not it is okay but I could use a white shade shirt. Probably size med. I appreciate you doing all that you do for me! I am doing really good though. 

I love you all so much. I am thankful for your love and concern and prayers. You are the BeST! seriously. Take care and I'll talk to you soon. Sorry that I didn't send letters last week. I wrote them but i didn't quite get around to getting them in the mail box. It was a busy week.

Off finding the tens of thousands! Remember who you are and to whom you belong to. 
Hermana Rife


Hermana Knappen and Kynsie at Tutti Frutti on their last day together.

Kynsie's new companion, Hermana Hill 

Casper and Kynsie
"Halloween...I love you!"
"I thought he was cute so I took a picture with him."


No comments:

Post a Comment